mercoledì 15 giugno 2016

DIY screenprinting. Problems and Solutions.

Hi, all! After some time I am writing again. have hold some workshop in places near home and some common points have emerged: mainly how to burn and develop properly the screen and where to find the supplies.

On burning the screen, I found quite useful to use four 18 w neon lights. I have built a box made out of scrap wood and paint it in white inside, mount the neon lights and cover them with 4mm glass plate. It takes 5 minutes to burn the screen. Here my lightbox.




I remember it was a good advise from Enrico, who runs Strane Dizioni screenprinting super brand. I remember he was very kind by answering to my mail. Beginning are always a mess ;). 

To develop properly the screen, I suggest using a water lance, the one usually is employed in the garden works. The water lance gives the right water pressure but not damage the emulsion. In this phase, it is essential not to scratch the screen with edgy objects. Better be gentle

Supplies are quite difficult to find. The reason is that hand screenprinting has not a big diffusion, only big industries use this technique (in a different way from DIY) and, moreover, direct fabric printers have to become quite common. 
I use to buy online.
The big Italian online supplier is Cpl Fabbrika, which is a huge portal on printing and DIY (not only screenprinting).
Outside Italy, I suggest Hunt the Moon. It is a portal with shop based in Uk. It is specialized in screen printing and sells many brands (I have tried the Speedball inks, very good in performance and holding) and also their own brand ( Hunt the Moon water based inks are quite similar to Speedball ones). The cute graphic brand is a plus. 


Hope to help anyway, if suggestions or requests needed write me at 

e.spizzamiglio@gmail.com




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento